Message from the Desk of Dr. Farheen:
I hope all of you are safe and taking appropriate precautions. To provide the safest care for our patients, we are now providing both in-person and virtual visits.
Face to face visit: Please wear a mask when you come to visit in person. Limit family members accompanying you to one.
Labs: We now offer on-site Quest diagnostic labs M-F 8:30am to 5pm.
Virtual Visit: For virtual visits, we have tried to find the easiest solution. It will involve 3 steps,
- Make sure your email is correct with us.
- You will receive an email from www.doxy.me/drfarheen
- Click on the email and our visit will begin. It is as simple as that
Ensure you are in a good internet connection zone, your camera and speakers are turned on. You can do this on any smart device. Please call us if any questions.
Best Health wishes
For Rheumatology drugs and concerns below is a website with some new information on medications and Covid-19.
If you feel like you have COVID-19 exposure or may be infected, please call your medical county office for further guidance on testing.
Local County Health Department Contact Information:
Harris County Health Department
· After hours: 281-434-6494
Montgomery County Health Department
· After hours: 888-825-9754
Fort Bend County Health Department
· After hours: 281-434-6494
Chambers County Health Department
· After hours: 409-267-9862
Brazoria County Health Department
· After hours: 800-511-1632
Galveston County Health District
· After hours: 888-241-0442
As this situation develops we will reevaluate and update you accordingly.
Best wishes from our team.
Memorial Herman Katy – has testing available for Covid-19
SARS-CoV-2 is a novel virus causing respiratory disease called COVID-19, which originated in China, but has now spread to other countries including the United States. Diagnosis of COVID-19 is by nucleic acid amplification, which was initially only available through the CDC and more recently public health laboratories including the City of Houston Laboratory. In an effort to enhance the ability of appropriate testing effective March 9, 2020 Memorial Hermann lab services will offer testing on appropriate patients as a send out to LabCorp.
Criteria for patient testing include:
- Fever and/or respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms with history of travel from affected area within 14 days of symptom onset.
- Fever and/or respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms in the setting of a close contact* of confirmed COVID-19 patient or person under investigation (PUI) within the 14 days of symptom onset.
- Severe diffuse pneumonia with negative viral and bacterial testing, as well as negative procalcitonin.
* Close contact will be defined as being within 6ft (2 meters) of a COVID-19 case for a prolonged period of time; close contact can occur while caring for, living with, visiting or sharing a health care waiting area or room with a COVID-19 case OR having direct contact with infectious secretions of a COVID-19 case (e.g. being coughed on).
Other useful information and websites.
Has interviewed and provides report with renowned researcher, rheumatologist, and long-standing member of SAA’s Medical and Scientific Advisory Board, Dr. John Reveille. Read on for crucial facts everyone living with SpA should know.
American College of Rheumatology
Provides guidance on Coronavirus – COVID -19.
As your rheumatologist, I recommend use your best judgement about continuing your medications. If you are on immunosuppressants and in high risk category (Elderly, underlying lung disease) and are relatively controlled from your arthritis then you can continue immunosuppressants however with vigilance of your circumstances and news on COVID-19 spread. Please limit being outdoor and in crowded spaces and follow hygiene instructions as above sources provide.
However, if you do consider that your risk outweighs the benefits of being on medication then you can hold your medicine but keep us informed. This is an ongoing and developing situation and will try to keep you informed as information and date becomes available